It is often helpful to begin this study by constructing a “spiritual timeline” with the person whom you are helping to become a disciple.
Introduction: 1 Peter 2:9-10
- Every person is either in the darkness or the light. There is no twilight zone.
- Where are you?
- Sin separates us from God2. In order for a man to have a relationship with God the wall must be broken down – sin must be forgiven.3. The point in time sin is forgiven is the point in time a person is saved.
- Who has sinned? Everyone!
2. Who is further away from God, a person who sins a little or a person who sins a lot? All are equal, all lost. Therefore a good moral life does not save you. You cannot earn your salvation by your good deeds.
3. Faith in the blood of Jesus saves you (v. 25).
C. What is Sin?
- Galatians 5:19-21 (sins of commission)
- 2 Timothy 3:1-5 (sins of commission)
- James 4:17 (sins of omission)
D. What is the eternal consequence of sin? Romans 6:23
A. John 3:1-7 Born again (v. 3), born of water and spirit (v. 5), born again. (v. 7)
B. Personal decision as an adult
C. What message must one believe to be in the light (to be saved?). Acts 2:22-24
- Jesus is from God. (v. 22)
- Jesus raised physically from the dead. (v. 24)
- Everyone is responsible for the crucifixion of Christ. (v. 23) All have sinned. (Romans 3:23)
D. Response of people Acts 2:36-37
- Cut to the heart
- What shall we do?
E. Once the people believed, what did they do? 2:38-42
- Repent (Greek = to turn)
- Be baptized (Greek = to be immersed).
a. Sin forgiven. Therefore this is the point in time a person is saved.
b. Holy Spirit given to each who responded-power to live as God commands.
F. Baptism Romans 6:1-4
- Baptism is the sharing (a participation) in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. (More than just a symbol.)
3. Traditions/False Doctrines – Matthew 15:6-9
A. Infant Baptism
- Personal faith is needed ( Colossians 2:12 )
- Began approximately third century A.D.
- Original sin
- Ezekiel 18:20
- Became “church doctrine” in 529 A.D.
B. Praying Jesus into your heart
- Revelation 3:20 – taken out of context. This verse is addressed to Christians.
- Began in the early 1800s in America.
4. Sinful nature
Suggest to the individual with whom you are studying that he or she write out and be specific about various sins they have committed during their life. This is so that they might see the gravity and magnitude of their sin. This is confidential and should only be shared with those who are studying with the person.